Its been a topic of discussion among the folks I talk with, and its a real cause for concern among many people.
This article goes over some good steps you can use to help remove/reduce the potential for loss. It pretty much breaks it down into:
- Finding out if your information was exposed
- Getting a free year of credit monitoring (but be careful & read the fine print. You may be giving up your right to sue Equifax)
- Check your credit reports often (you can check each of the three sites – Equifax, Experian and TransUnion once a year for free).
- Consider placing a credit freeze on your files
- Or consider placing a fraud alert on your files
- File your taxes early (so frauds can’t cheat you out of your money)
No matter what, keep an eye out for thieves on the net. They’re out there, and its just smart financial sense to be ready for them.
Mr. 39 Months