Well, its early July, halfway through the year, and a perfect time to compare my goals for 2017 to what I’ve actually done, both financial and personal/other. A lot of folks don’t like to do this sort of thing, but as an engineer and amateur financial junky, I actually love taking a look at these sort of things. Even when I’ve had a bad quarter (or bad year) I like to look at the numbers and see what my situation is, and the future outlook.
Ok, I’m a numbers geek.
So how am I doing in comparison to my goals for 2017 (the ones that I listed on April 30th)?
My Goals for 2017 (some financial, some not):
- Put in $33,000 in tax-advantaged accounts throughout the year. Grade A. I have put in $20,200 so far this year (including some bonus money) and am on track to hit my goal by December.
- Put in all bonuses, gifts, and our previous house payments into regular accounts (estimate of $26,000 year): Grade A. I have put in $18,250 so far this year, and I am on track to hit my goal by December.
- Increase dividend income from our investments to $18,000/year (and reinvest them): Grade C. I have $8,877 in dividends so far this year. Going to be touch and go to see if I hit this.
- Get Passive income up to 65% of living expenses: Grade D. I am currently at 61.9%. To hit the goal I have to hope for some major dividend payouts in December. We do continue to keep our living expenses low, though we did have to spend some money on home repairs which bumped it up a bit.
- Beat at 6% growth rate on our net worth: Grade A. I am at 6.2% so far, with only half the year gone by. Even if the markets come back with 0 growth for the rest of the year, I’m good.
- Begin attending local real estate investment association meetings, to learn about and begin preparing for real estate investing in 2018: Grade n/a. Plan was to start in July, and I have the date marked in my calendar. Not sure when I will start investing in it, because all you hear right now is that the market is too hot. We will see. My goal here is to start studying and learning.
- Start a blog (i.e. this one). Grade A. Done
- Fitness: Increase weight lifted by 10% over the year. Grade D. Currently appear to have hit a wall, as I haven’t gone up hardly any for the last 3 months. Need to work on this.
- Average 3 hours of cardio each week. Grade D. Currently only averaging a little over 1.
- Go on an international trip. Grade n/a. Wanted to do something bigger this year, but Mrs. 39 months job situation killed chances for larger trip. Plan to go to Quebec or Montreal in October.
- Visit one national park. Grade n/a. Again, job situation hurt this. Have never been to Ellis Island, so may try for this.
So in looking at this, I think I am tracking well for the first half of the year. Still got some work to do (especially in terms of personal fitness).
How were your first six months of 2017?
Mr. 39 months