This is the Fourth part of my “Six Month Review” template. Previously I looked at the performance of my investments, re-balanced them, and then reviewed my budget. From that, I could see how I was doing on the goals that I set for myself at the beginning of the year. Now its time to review those goals and see if any need to be altered, dropped, or if new goals need to be put in place.
So how am I doing in comparison to my goals for 2018?
My Goals for 2018 (some financial, some not):
- Save $81K in tax-advantaged accounts (saved almost $37K in 2017): I’ve saved a little over $51K in them in the first 6 months (thanks to my bonus payment). On track to get around $81K.
- Save $9K in regular: Complete
- Increase dividend income from all accounts to $24K/year: Right now I am at $10.6K a year. Since I usually get a big bump at the end of Q4, I think I should be able to hit this.
- Passive income covers 33% of base living expenses in retirement, i.e. $24K of my $72K expected expenses: As above, I think I’ll hit my $24K in dividends, which would put me over 33.3%
- Beat net worth growth rate of 7%: Well, with the market only getting back to “0” right now, I am not sure I am going to hit this one. We will see. I’m not going to change it, but we will see.
- Begin attending regular meetings of my local real estate investors association. I’ve attended six so far, but didn’t get to any in June. I plan to get to at least 2 in July. Still not sure of the value of these yet.
- Double the number of blog visitors in 2018. Doing well here. I’m almost there, after the first six months. Should hit this before the end of July. Part of this is probably more info on my blog, more history. Also, I am linking to other blogs when I see good stuff, so maybe folks are paying me back.
- Write/publish a book on finance. Not doing well here. Haven’t gotten past the first couple of pages of notes here. I plan on keeping this one, but it may end of going into 2019 before its published.
- Increase weight lifted by 10% from 2018 (increased by 12.7% in 2017: Getting sick and then going backpacking didn’t help this. I was pleased to go back into the gym last week and find that I hadn’t lost that much muscle, and was able to keep the lift value about where it was. Need to start building back up.
- Average 3 hours of cardio per week (currently averaging about an hour).Not doing well here. Getting to 3 hours is a struggle. I will drop this goal down to 2 hours a week for the 2nd half of the year – something that will probably be attainable.
- Take part in at least one long bike ride, like MS bike-a-thon (80 miles): Going to drop this one. With everything else going on, I just don’t have the time to train for this.
- Backpack over 100 miles on AT (did over 100 in 2017): Having to bail out a day early back in June put this in jeopardy. I will probably just get over 90 miles this year, so I’ll adjust the goal to that.
- Begin volunteering at Pennsbury Manor at their joiner’s shop (woodworking): Started volunteering in May, began training to be a guide at the beginning of July. I am enjoying this.
- Reduce weight by 20 lbs. from Jan 2018 (lost 9 lbs. in 2017). Doing OK here. Down to 226 lbs (Loss of 11 for the year). However, I’m going to cut the goal to a 15 lbs loss for the year, because I think that is about what I can do for the last six months. We will see.
- Read at least one book a month. Really kicknign this one out of the park. Got ten books done in the first six months, and already knocked one out in July. Starting Dickens David Copperfield today.
- Visit a national park (visited Shenandoah NP in 2017): Got two parks completed (Crater Lake and Redwoods NP in California). Really enjoyed them, and looking forward to next year’s parks
- Visit family in Tennessee, Vermont and New York. Plans in place for November trips to NY and TN.
- Visit Portland, OR and northern California: Complete and had a lot of fun
- Visit Ellis Island. Still want to do this, just have to find the time. Its only 1-1/2 hours away.
- Go on an international trip. Going to drop this one. Don’t think I will have the time for this in 2018
- Visit the Asheville NC area. It’s one of the areas that we are considering retiring to (close to my old home in Tennessee, interesting crafts, shops & outdoor sports, etc.). Trying to learn more about the area (we’ve been there a couple of times). Going to drop this one as well. Don’t think I will have the time in 2018 for this, and blew through all my work vacation time.
Nothing major, just to do some furniture projects that came up. Otherwise, just concentrate on getting done what I have above.
So you can see, I do a review, and I tend to drop some goals (3 or 4) that it turns out I don’t think I can hit, and alter a few (weight loss, cardio). This way, I don’t stress myself out over not hitting everything, and I give myself something to shoot for in the next year.
Mr. 39 Months