Well, its early July, halfway through the year, and a perfect time to compare my goals for 2019 to what I’ve actually done, both financial and personal/other. A lot of folks don’t like to do this sort of thing, but as an engineer and amateur financial junky, I actually love taking a look at these sort of things. Even when I’ve had a bad quarter (or bad year) I like to look at the numbers and see what my situation is, and the future outlook.
Ok, I’m a numbers geek.
So how am I doing in comparison to my goals for 2017 (the ones that I listed on April 30th)?
My Goals for 2019 (some financial, some not):
- Put in $75,000 in tax-advantaged accounts throughout the year. Grade A. I have put in over $55K this year so far, and I am on track to put in close to $80K by December.
- Put in $5,000 in regular accounts: Grade A. Took my rollover from my inherited IRA and put that into my brokerage in first quarter.
- Increase dividend income from our investments to $27,000/year (and reinvest them): Grade B. I have $13,298 in dividends so far this year. Going to be touch and go to see if I hit this, but I usually get a big dividend “bump” in 4th qtr.
- Get Passive income up to 40% of living expenses: Grade C. I am currently at 36.9% with dividends vs. an assumed $72k annual spend. To hit the goal I have to hope for some major dividend payouts in December. We do continue to keep our living expenses low, though we did have to spend some money on home repairs which bumped it up a bit.
- Beat at 6% growth rate on our net worth: Grade A. With the market upswing, we are hitting this out of the park. Looks like we might go as high as 10% increase for year, which will make up for the poor showing in 2018, where we actually lost net worth.
- Continue attending local real estate investment association meetings, to learn about and begin preparing for real estate investing in 2018: Grade F. I chose to discontinue this, as I was not looking to do any investing like this in the near future, and wasn’t gaining a lot of knowledge from the meetings at this time. May revisit in the future.
- Double number of Blog visitors from 2018. Grade D. I had 6,000+ visitors in 2018, but only 4,100 visitors so far in 2019. Not sure if I’ll hit 12,000
- Write/Publish HS graduate book. Grade F. I have only written 2 additional chapters in 2019. Other things have jumped onto the radar, keeping me from working on this
- Fitness: Increase weight lifted by 10% over the year. Grade D. Due to work trips, vacations and other life instances, I haven’t been able to push beyond my current lifting level. Need to concentrate on this.
- Average 2 hours of cardio each week. Grade F. Still only averaging around 1 hour.
- Take part in at least one long bike ride: Grade n/a. Maybe will do MS bike-a-thon in September
- Backpack over 100 miles on Appalachian Trail. Grade C. I have done about 81.5 miles this year, and unfortunately, it doesn’t look like I’ll be able to do any new miles this year. The problem is that I’ve done all the trail within a 5-hour driving distance, so any additional miles are difficult to do for a weekend. May have to cut my goals for 2020 and beyond till I retire
- Continue volunteering at Pennsbury Manor: Grade A. Been going fairly regularly
- Reduce weight by 20 lbs from Jan 2018: Grade F. Haven’t lost any weight. Any weight lost during backpacking has been gained back
- Read at least one new book each month: Grade A. Five books in 2nd qtr. Going to read a lot more later this month at the beach
- Visit one national park. Grade n/a. Haven’t visited one yet. May visit the Smoky Mtn park in October.
- Visit Family in TN/VT/NY: Grade A. I’ve visited NY and TN so far, and plans in place to hit VT in August and TN again in October.
- Weekend at the beach: Grade A. Visiting the beach this month for a week. Hope to spend time relaxing instead of having a frantic, running from site-to-site vacation (our typical one)
- Visit Ellis Island: Again, job situation hurt this. Have never been to Ellis Island, so may try for this.
- Go on an international trip. Grade n/a. Wanted to do something bigger this year, but Mrs. 39 months job situation killed chances for larger trip.
- Visit Asheville area: Grade n/a. Plan is to visit in October. This is a potential retirement location, so this is more research.
So in looking at this, I think I am tracking well for the first half of the year. Still got some work to do (especially in terms of personal fitness).
How were your first six months of 2019?
Mr. 39 months