Well, it’s early April, a quarter of the way through the year, and hopefully a good start for the year’s goals. Again, a lot of folks don’t like to do this sort of thing, but as an engineer and amateur financial junkie, I actually love taking a look at these sort of things. Even when I’ve had a bad quarter (or bad year) I like to look at the numbers and see what my situation is, and the future outlook – and financially the first quarter had both good and bad.
So how am I doing in comparison to my goals for 2018?
My Goals for 2018 (some financial, some not):
- Save $81K in tax-advantaged accounts (saved almost $37K in 2017): Grade B. Saved almost $14K in 1st qtr, and looking to dump $21K from my bonus into it in early April.
- Save $9K in regular: Grade A. Got this done right out of the gate. The $5K I had to take from my inherited IRA went right into this, and I took $4K from savings and put it in as well. The $333/month I was going to dollar-cost average into it will just go to plus back up my savings.
- Increase dividend income from all accounts to $24K/year: Grade B. Was at $4,456 for 1st qtr vs. $4,089 in 1st qtr 2017. I usually get a big boost in 4th qtr, so we will see if I hit it.
- Passive income covers 33% of base living expenses in retirement, i.e. $24K of my $72K expected expenses: Grade B. See above – need to hit $24K of dividends, since I don’t have other forms of passive income right now.
- Beat net worth growth rate of 7%: Grade D. Market is down, thus hurting my net worth. It hasn’t grown hardly at all, despite the $23K that I dumped into it. If market recovers, I should still be able to hit this.
- Begin attending regular meetings of my local real estate investors association. Grade C. Attended four (4) meetings over 3 months. Good info, but nowhere near as much as I should be investing time for. There was a great one last night on estimating repair costs, but it was full and I couldn’t attend.
- Double the number of blog visitors in 2018. Grade A. I’ve already exceeded last years numbers by 15%. I’m sure part of it is that I have more content. Still, I need to do a better job of providing stuff folks want to read.
- Write/publish a book on finance. Grade: Incomplete. Did some initial work on it, but really haven’t put as much work into this as it needs.
- Increase weight lifted by 10% from 2018 (increased by 12.7% in 2017 Grade B: Up 3% from the beginning of the year
- Average 3 hours of cardio per week (currently averaging about an hour).Grade C: Averaging about 1.7 Hours a week as of March.
- Take part in at least one long bike ride, like MS bike-a-thon (80 miles) Grade: Incomplete. Bike scheduled for September
- Backpack over 100 miles on AT (did over 100 in 2017) Grade: Incomplete. Hike’s scheduled for June and October
- Begin volunteering at Pennsbury Manor at their joiner’s shop (woodworking) Grade C: Volunteer training set for April 15th, and then I will start
- Reduce weight by 20 lbs. from Jan 2018 (lost 9 lbs. in 2017). Grade D: Only lost 4 lbs. in 1st Qtr. Need to get better at fitness and diet.
- Read at least one book a month. Grade A. Read five (5) books in 1st qtr, one work of fiction, two self help, and two histories. Really enjoying this personal goal
- Visit a national park (visited Shenandoah NP in 2017). Grade: Incomplete. Scheduled to visit two parks in May (Redwoods NP in California and Crater Lake in Oregon)
- Visit family in Tennessee, Vermont and New York. Family is very important to me. One of the things I am looking forward to with financial independence is the opportunity to visit family more often. Grade B. Visited family in TN in March, but only for a short time. Looking forward to more visits throughout the year.
- Visit Portland, OR and northern California. Grade: Incomplete. Scheduled to visit in May 2018.
- Visit Ellis Island. Wanted to do this in 2017, but didn’t make it. As 50% Czech from immigrant great grandparents from the turn of the century, I believe they went through there, and I want to see it Grade: F. Still haven’t been there and I have had the opportunities.
- Go on an international trip. Not sure which one (Canada, Caribbean, etc.) but I’d like to get out this year. Grade: Incomplete. Nothing scheduled at this time.
- Visit the Asheville NC area. It’s one of the areas that we are considering retiring to (close to my old home in Tennessee, interesting crafts, shops & outdoor sports, etc.). Trying to learn more about the area (we’ve been there a couple of times). Grade: Incomplete. Nothing scheduled at this time.
Overall, I’d give myself a B. Got a lot done, but still have more to go.
How are you going on your goals for 2018?
Mr. 39 Months