Well, it’s now August, so I’d better report out on how the first half of the year went. The Chinese Flu continues to cause concern and create issues throughout the country, and it looks like we may be heading back in for lockdowns. Not sure what effect that is going to have for the economy in the 2nd half of the year, so we’ll see. I’m not sure the American
My Goals for 2021 (some financial, some not):
- Save $29K in tax-advantaged accounts – 401K, and Roth IRA. Grade A. Saved $4.8K in our 401Ks for the 1st qtr. Due to the size of my bonus, I’m not going to be eligible to do a Roth IRA contribution in 2021, so I’m just putting that money into my regular account.
- Save $41K in regular accounts. Grade A. Put my bonus and additional funds in, so that’s $35.5K for the first half of the year. Great start.
- Increase dividend income from all accounts to $27K/year (compared to 29K in 2019). Grade C. Dividends are still down for the year in the major accounts/mutual funds. Was only able to put $6.1K in for 2nd qtr, which leaves me at almost $11K for the year. Need 3rd and 4th Qtrs to be bigger than last year.
- Passive income covers 38% of base living expenses in retirement, estimated at $78K per year. Grade C, covered 30% for the first half of the year. However, my 401K and Deferred don’t report dividends separately, so I may not be getting the full amount. We will see.
- Beat net worth growth rate of 7%. Grade A. Due to market and real estate value, the new worth is up 12.2% for the first half of 2021. Very hard to believe.
- Attend twelve SJREIA meetings. Grade A; I’ve attended ten in the first half of 2021. My local market is pretty heated (like so many others). Still, its good to get the information.
- Double the number of blog visitors in 2020. Grade F. Still not a large number of folks reading – maybe a little bump from last year. Only 3,000 “hits” for 2021.
- Sell $1,000 on TKD Woodworking (my side-hustle name). Grade: Incomplete. Made my first sale at the end of June – $71! Had some additional sales in July, as well as a commission sale, so we’re off and running!
- Setup funding for TKD homes. Plan to get into real estate means setting up funding. While I’ve got a significant amount of money set aside to start this, I also need to explore additional funding methods.
- Write/publish a book on finance. Grade F: Haven’t done anything on this for a whole year. Not sure how to reboot this – need to try.
- Regular Workouts with Gymanstic Bodies internet system: Grade C: Was still doing this at the beginning of the quarter, but then got a shoulder injury and have been going through physical therapy for it. I am doing my PT religiously though – not sure if this counts.
- Average 2 hours of cardio per week, which is about what I’m doing now. Grade A. Walking daily, so actually doing at least 3+ hours.
- Backpack over 100 miles on AT (did around 50 miles in 2020). Grade: Incomplete. Did 29.8 miles in April. Plan to do 60 miles in August, and another 30 miles in September, so it looks like I’ll hit this goal.
- Continue volunteering at Pennsbury Manor at their joiner’s shop (woodworking). Really enjoyed this. Incomplete. Site is still closed down
- Reduce weight by 15 lbs. from Jan 2020 Again, I want to get in better shape as I get closer to financial independence. Grade C. I was down 3 lbs in 1st qtr, but only 1 lbs for 2nd quarter. Still have a long way to go, and the virus is keeping me from eating as healthy as I’d like.
- Read at least one book a month. I surpassed this goal in 2018, and re-learned the joy of reading. Grade A. Six more books in second quarter and I really enjoy it.
- Visit one national parks (that is the plan, right now). Grade: Incomplete
- Visit family in Tennessee, Vermont and New York. Family is very important to me. One of the things I am looking forward to with financial independence is the opportunity to visit family more often. Visited brother in VT. I would like to go to NY for my wife’s family, but she’s reticent due to the Covid. Grade: Incomplete
- A week with Mrs. 39 Months for our 35th anniversary. Grade: Incomplete. We spent our 25th in Vermont with my brother, but it was only a 4-day weekend. Still, it was nice to get away.
- Visit Ellis Island. Still want to do this – its so close. As 50% Czech from immigrant great grandparents from the turn of the century, I believe they went through there, and I want to see it. Grade F. Cancelled.
How did your second quarter go this year?
Mr. 39 Months.